Monday, April 18, 2011

The few Week-Ends I treasure!

For those who know me personally, know how much I love the Spring and Summer season! I love the sandals, I love the fashion... I love being free and walking aimlessly downtown... and most of all  I love having dinner with friends on a beautiful summer night on a terrace drinking wine and just enjoying a great conversation!!! However, as a wedding planner unfortunately I don't have the luxury of enjoying beautiful summer week ends. I must admit, it is actually the one thing that I dislike the most about my job.

Every year during this time, I start feeling sad; because I know that we are approaching the summer season, and my free week ends with my family are coming to an end :(  It saddens me to know that I won't be able to go to pool parties or BBQ parties with my friends and family because I have to be at a wedding from early morning till late evening. It saddens me to know that I will miss birthday parties, engagement parties, at times weddings and even family events and trips because I will be working Saturdays and sometimes Sundays from early morning till late evening on a wedding. And when you have a 3 year old toddler, you know that those moments are cherished and go by so fast... but that's the price I have to pay to do what I love so much!! 

A few years ago when I decided to give up my day job and focus strictly on Maddy K. my friends all said the same thing " Ohhh maddy you are so lucky, you only have to work week ends" - Actually no, we don't only work week ends... in the summer months, we work week days AND week ends. Sometimes, I finish a wedding on a Sunday and am so releived that all went well, only to wake up Monday morning to have an email waiting for me from the bride getting married the following Saturday!!! So at times we don't even get the break between events and trust me after a few weeks like that, it starts getting a toll on your body.

The reason for this post is to make young aspiring wedding planners understand the sacrifices that come with being a wedding planner. If spending beautiful summer week ends with strangers is something you'd like to do, then consider the professsion. Unfortunately for me I only started realizing this after I had a child and realized the importance of being with family on week ends... but by then I was well into my career path, so there was no looking back!!! 

Every job has it's set backs, this is one of the set backs that our profession has...but we sure make it up during the winter months when our week ends are strictly reserved for family and friends!!!

On that note, Happy Monday Everyone - I promise tomorrow's post will be less depressing ;)


1 comment:

  1. Too true and we actually pretty much work 24/7 the rest of the year too... LOL!!

    ReplyDelete